Strategies for Academic Success
In order for students to achieve academic success, the following are several tips and strategies that can be helpful to implement:
- Write down homework assignments for each class every day. Having a set place to write this down, such as a small notebook just for homework or a TOHS tracker, can be especially helpful in staying organized. TOHS trackers can be purchased in the Student Store.
- Have a set place at home designated for doing homework that is free from distractions. Scheduling a regular time each day for doing homework can be helpful and is recommended. When doing homework, minimize distractions from your phone, TV, and computer.
- Parents can cross-check homework written down in planners with completed assignments and help to ensure these assignments make it into your backpack to turn in the next day.
- Ask teachers for help during and after class. Many teachers offer extra support at lunch or after school. Be sure to let them know if you have questions or are struggling to complete an assignment. Students and parents can send teachers emails with any questions or concerns, as well. Many teachers also have their own website where they post assignments and other class information. Teacher contact information can be found here.
- Take advantage of tutoring opportunities to get extra help. Tutoring information can be found here.
- Students and parents should check Q/Zangle frequently for information about grades, assignments, and teacher comments. If you need help with logging into your account, please call 805-495-7491 x1000. Link to Q.
- Get enough good quality sleep.
- If there are additional academic or social-emotional concerns, please contact your counselor.